This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, when you make a purchase. Please check out my disclosure policy for more info.
These oven-baked sweet potatoes, loaded with Mexican chorizo and topped with sour cream and fresh cilantro make for a bright and flavorful summer meal.
It is no secret that I love Mexican chorizo, and as the weather gets warmer, I find myself craving it more and more. I’m always looking for new ways to use chorizo, that doesn’t involve just mixing it in with some eggs. We had some sweet potatoes in the pantry, so I decided to pair them together because I thought the flavors would complement each other, and they absolutely did. Plus, the colors in this dish are beautiful.
What is Mexican Chorizo?
Mexican Chorizo is a heavily seasoned sausage made with vinegar and chili peppers, giving it a tangy, spicy flavor.
For this recipe, I used Mexican pork chorizo from Cacique. This is the brand that I typically use when cooking with chorizo because I like the flavor and it’s easy to grab at my local grocery store.
Tip For Great Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Rinse and scrub. Since sweet potatoes are root vegetables, you’ll want to make sure you give them a good wash before baking, especially if you plan on eating the skin.
- Use a fork to poke holes into the sweet potatoes to help them release any excess moisture while baking.
- Rub with olive oil and sea salt before wrapping to add flavor to the skin.
- Wrap each potato twice with aluminum foil and place them on a baking sheet for baking.
- If you want a crispy potato skin, don’t wrap your potatoes and line your baking sheet with foil instead.
- Cook time may vary depending on the size of your sweet potatoes and the temperature of your oven. I like to cook my sweet potatoes at 400 degrees for about 45-50 minutes. Large potatoes may take up to an hour, while smaller potatoes may be done in 40 minutes. They are done when an inserted knife can easily cut through the potato.
- Try to choose potatoes that are roughly the same size. This will help ensure that they will be done cooking at the same time.
Can I cook my potatoes in the microwave?
Yes! Sweet potatoes can easily be cooked in the microwave if you are short on time and only make a couple. Just scrub and dry, poke with a fork, then wrap in a damp paper towel. Microwave on high for about 5 to 10 minutes on a microwave save plate, flipping the potato halfway through.
Storing & Reheating
Sweet potatoes can easily be made in the oven ahead of time and then reheated when you are ready to use them. They can be kept in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 4-5 days. They can also be kept in the freezer for up to 6 months.
To reheat, place them in the oven at 300 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
Chorizo Loaded Baked Sweet Potatoes Recipe
2 medium sweet potatoes
2 tbsp olive oil
10 oz Mexican Chorizo
sour cream (optional)
chopped cilantro (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut four sheets of foil, large enough to wrap around your sweet potatoes.
- Scrub, rinse, and poke each potato. Rub the potatoes with oil and sea salt, then wrap with foil twice. Place the potatoes on a baking sheet and cook in the oven for 40 minutes to an hour, or until an inserted knife can easily cut through the sweet potato.
- In a medium-sized frying pan, cook chorizo on medium-high heat until crispy.
- Remove the potatoes from the foil, and cut them down the middle. Split the chorizo in half, scooping a portion into each potato. Top with a scoop of sour cream and fresh chopped cilantro.
Other recipes you might like: