This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, when you make a purchase. Please check out my disclosure policy for more info.
This lemon and poppyseed squash bread is moist on the outside with a crisp crust and fresh lemony flavor.
It’s so interesting to me that there are a million recipes for zucchini bread, but you don’t see recipes for yellow squash bread as often. I love the bright, summery flavor that the lemon adds to this bread, and the yellow squash and poppyseeds give it such a beautiful texture.
Is Yellow Squash Good For You?
Yes! There are so many benefits that come from eating yellow squash, and it’s a great vegetable to add to your diet if you don’t already.
- They are a great low-carb/low-calorie snack. According to the USDA, in one raw medium yellow squash, there are about 31 calories, 2g protein, and 2g of fiber.
- Yellow squash is full of vitamins A, B, and C, as well as magnesium, potassium, iron, and folate.
What’s The Difference Between Yellow Squash and Zucchini?
They main differences between the two are the shape and color. Zucchini is green and straight, while yellow squash is yellow with a fat bottom and is tapered at the neck. Nutritionally and taste-wise, they are actually very similar. Either vegetable can be swapped for the other in recipes and are often cooked together.
Tips For Making Super Moist Yellow Squash Bread
- Measure out the squash. Squash can come in different sizes, so make sure to measure out 1 1/2 cups after shredding.
- Fully cream together your butter and sugars before adding in the other ingredients. You should mix until you get a paste-like consistency.
- Make sure to let it cool completely before slicing. This is a soft bread, so it will fall apart and appear undercooked if sliced right away. Make sure to let it cool all the way first.
How To Store Lemon Poppyseed Yellow Squash Bread
Once baked, this bread can be kept lightly covered at room temperature for up to 3 days. It will keep in the freezer for up to 2 months, just bring to room temperature before serving.
How To Make Lemon Poppyseed Yellow Squash Bread
1 1/2 cup yellow squash, shredded
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp lemon zest
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup sour cream
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×5 bread pan or line it with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl or stand mixer, cream together the melted butter and sugars. Add in the shredded squash, eggs, vanilla extract, lemon zest, lemon juice, and sour cream.
- Once all of the wet ingredients are mix together, add in the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Pour the batter into your prepared bread pan. Bake for 55 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely before removing it from the pan.