This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #CrispyCreations #CollectiveBias #CrispyChicken
Tacos are a favorite in our house and something that we eat at least once a week. Ground beef, pork carnitas, street tacos, Korean beef…the possibilities are endless. The other night we made the most amazing, perfectly crispy chicken tacos, and they have definitely become a new favorite.
Are they really perfectly crispy?
They absolutely are!
The secret to achieving that perfect crispness is Argo® Corn Starch. Argo® Corn Starch is the leading corn starch brand with over 100 years of quality and trust over multiple generations. We often use it as a thickening agent for sauces and soups or even to make slime, but since corn starch is better at absorbing and binding water than wheat and potato starches are, it creates the perfect coating on fried foods and makes the crispiest chicken.
If you’re looking for a way to spice up taco night, give these a try! You can also take a look at the Argo® Corn Starch website for more recipes.
Perfectly Crispy Chicken Tacos
1 quart water
1/4 c salt
1/4 c sugar
6-8 chicken breasts cut into about 3 inch long, 1 inch thick strips
1 cup flour
1 cup Argo® Corn Starch
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp garlic power
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp onion power
2 tsp salt
Oil for frying
For Cream Drizzle:
4 jalapenos, roasted and peeled
2 cups sour cream
1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup lime juice
For the Crispiest Chicken:
- To make the brine, whisk together water, sugar, and salt until combined. Add in chopped chicken, cover, and refrigerate for 30-60 minutes.
- While the chicken brines, make your breading. In a large bowl, mix together flour, Argo® Corn Starch, cayenne pepper, paprika, garlic powder, cumin, oregano, onion power, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan at medium heat. You will need enough oil to submerge the chicken.
- Remove chicken pieces from brine. Pat dry with a paper towel and discard the brine.
- Dip the chicken pieces in the dry flour/ Argo® Corn Starch mixture and coat the pieces with flour mix, shake off excess flour then dip in egg mix.
- Let the extra egg mix drip from the chicken pieces then coat again with flour mixture until well coated.
- Slowly drop the chicken pieces in the oil and fry till golden brown and crisp.Once you drop the chicken pieces they will rise immediately in oil that means the oil is hot.
- Cook until the chicken coating is a deep golden brown.
- Transfer chicken to a plate lined with a towel or a wire rack to drain.
For the Cream Drizzle:
I usually make this a few hours ahead of time and let it sit in the fridge so the flavors can really blend.
- Set your oven to broil. Place four jalapenos on a baking sheet and let them roast in the oven until blackened.
- Once they are cooled, peel the skin off of the peppers and place them in a blender or food processor. Add in sour cream, cilantro, lime juice and salt. Blend until smooth.
To make the tacos, place a warmed flour tortilla on a plate. Add lettuce, your perfectly crispy chicken, and cilantro. Drizzle the spicy cream sauce over the top and you’re done!