I love the warm, spicy flavors of chai tea, and I think it is perfect for this time of year. For the tea, I just used whatever chai tea blend I had on hand. I wanted smaller cookies, so I used some 1-inch holiday-themed cookie cutters that I found at Target. I finished them off with an orange glaze that I think pairs wonderfully with the warm chai flavoring and symbolizes the return of longer days.
Chai Shortbread Cookies
1 stick of butter, room temp
1/4 c powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp chai tea, finely ground
1 tsp cinnamon
1 c all-purpose flour
pinch of salt
- Cream together butter and tea and let sit at room temperature for about an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cream together the tea butter, cinnamon, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl or stand mixer.
- Add in flour and salt and mix until a soft dough forms.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface until about 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut out cookies using a 1-2 inch cookie cutter and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake cookies in the oven for 10-12 minutes, or until edges turn golden brown.
1 cup powdered sugar
2-3 tbsp orange juice
Whisk together powdered sugar and 2 tbsp orange juice. Add more lemon juice until you reach desired consistency. Drizzle over cooled cookies.